First of all, I’d like to thank Arcane Owl for the idea for the article. They wanted to know more about the dark side of their spirit animal, since the Quiz (if you haven’t taken the quiz about your spirit animal yet, you can take it here) focused more on the strengths than the weaknesses, on the bright side rather than the dark side.
Before I go on writing a few of the “darker” traits of the spirit animals, I’d like to tell you a bit (just a bit) about WHY I don’t normally do that.
First of all, I’m sick and tired of the downright dystopian inclinations of our media and entertainment. I’m a people lover, and my intention with these quizzes is to help you discover what’s good about yourself, the strengths you can build on, the traits you can sharpen and use to attain your goals in life.
Our self-esteem is often a wreck of its accord, and we don’t need someone else to hammer the nails in our wrists. Focusing on the bad only weakens the good. Zooming in on the dark only reduces the light. I always have and always will focus on the bright side and will always bring your strengths in the limelight. As a former teacher I know this works wonders, nurtures talent, power and confidence.
That being said, off to the dark side:
- Wolf – you can become a victim of false friends. You may warm snakes at your breast. You would go to any lengths to protect those you care for. Sometimes, however, you can go aggressive on the wrong people.
- Fox – you’re often subversive and use your cunningness to put others at a disadvantage. You can be vindictive and your honesty bends. You may be forced in situations where your dignity is challenged, and you’ll play the part, but you’ll get back at the offender.
- Lion – you’re too proud and often vain. You may have a sense of entitlement, which bothers. You repay loyalty but suffer greatly if betrayed. When hurt, you may fall prey to falsely sweet tongues licking your wounds, to flattery.
- Bear – you may indulge in too much relaxation time. Escapism is a danger. Your loves are long-lasting, but you may stay true to people who hurt you. You tend to avoid problems instead of solving them.
- Dolphin – you’re often too sweet, trying to please everybody. You may be easily taken advantage of. To top it all, those whom you’ve proved your worth to act all proud and have you prove yourself again and again. You’re terrified of disappointing, a trait which can be used to manipulate you.
These are some of the “dark” traits of these spirit animals. Of my experience I may confidently state that the good outweighs the bad, and that the qualities outweigh the defects by far. Let me know your thoughts in a comment, I’m always happy to read from you.
I’d also like to mention this, because I think it’s only fair to both you and me: Lately I’ve received a great many requests for personal profiles on my Gmail address. As much as I’d love to oblige every request, limited time doesn’t allow it, so I decided to make personal profiling an official offer: 25 $ for a roughly full three-page personal profile with focus on any area of your life. Please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best of thoughts,